Thursday, September 4, 2008

I'm here!!!

Today marks the first day of my time here in Dublin! The flight was surprisingly quicker than I thought it would be - a little over 9 hours. The airplane wasn't the most comfortable, but it wasn't too bad. The time change was a bit difficult. Got on the plane at 4PM, and had to try to sleep at 6PM, cause it was technically 2 AM or so....so I slept a bit and got into Dublin around 10 AM. Got my two big ass suitcases (which was over the limit but the lady let me slide) and took the aircoach to the area I'm staying at. The bus driver was super nice and came to let me know that it was my stop. I had no idea, so I was just
chilling thinking I would be off at the last stop. He was nice enough to get my luggage out and hail me a cab. I asked the driver if I could sit in the front seat cause I get carsick and he said sure. Not remembering that they drive on the other side, I tried to get into the driver's seat! The cab driver helped me find our apartment, which was a bit confusing. When we got to the area, the cab driver called Talia and I got to see our lovely apartment.


It's a two bedroom, two bath apartment in a nice bustling area. Talia and I decided to not live too close to campus as it was the same price/or more expensive and there wasn't much to do there. It's kind of the equivalent to living in Malibu vs living in Santa Monica. I'm so grateful that Talia and her husband Will came early and found the place. I was getting a little worried last week, not knowing where I would be.

So I started to unpack a bit, and before I got too tired, the three of us went to a couple of shops, where I could buy a comforter and pillows. I also got a prepaid cell phone, figured it would be a lot easier and it's only 19c per minute to call home. So after we got the stuff, we grabbed some lunch and took the train home. I then proceeded to sleep for a good 4-5 hours and felt a lot better. Only problem is, its 10:4o PM rite now and I'm not the least bit tired. It may take a few days to adjust.


It feels weird to be here already. It seemed so far away and didn't feel real until I left the airport. Tomorrow we have some more orientation stuff. I'm kinda glad I didn't come any earlier, because Talia said the first day of orientation was basically everyone getting together and having drinks at a pub, which is nice but at least I didn't miss too much. Today was some team building/outdoor activities, but since I was way too tired, I didn't go. Tomorrow there is some sort of personal and professional development series, and then student ID's, a library tour and the welcome dinner. Not sure if I'll do the whole day of activities, depending on how tired I am...

1 comment:

Jordan Rockwell said...

Go Rachel! So great you're keeping a blog.